In this article, you will learn what the WordPress heartbeat is and how to control the number of times it talks to the server. This will improve server response time.
What is the WordPress heartbeat? #
The WordPress heartbeat allows WordPress to send updates to your server, It is used to save drafts, schedule posts and lock posts that others are working on. This seems useful however it can drastically increase server usage making your website feel slow. Users usually find that e-commerce sites are affected the most due to the number of calls the heartbeat has to make.
Installing a Heartbeat Control plugin #
To install a Heartbeat Control plugin, follow these steps:
- Download the heartbeat control plugin from WPRocket
- Log in to your WordPress site.
- In the left-hand menu, Hover over Plugins > Click Add New
- Click upload Plugin located at the top
- Click Choose file
Select the file you downloaded earlier
- Once the plugin has uploaded click activate.
Controlling the WordPress Heartbeat via the plugin #
After you install the Heartbeat plugin, you can configure it. To do this, follow these steps:
- Log in to your WordPress site
- In the left-hand menu, Hover over settings then click Heartbeat Control.
The heartbeat control plugin dashboard appears
- In the general settings select what you would like to do to the following
- WordPress Dashboard.
- Post editor
- The Heartbeat plugin has three different options:
- Allow Heartbeat
- Disable Heartbeat
- Modify Heartbeat -The number is how often it gives a heartbeat (minutes)
- Press .