In this article, you will learn how to create a strong password. By creating a stronger password you become less likely to be a victim of your password been cracked from a brute-force attack.
Choosing a strong password #
Here are some tips on creating a strong password:
- Create a password that is at least ten characters long. The longer your password is the harder it is to crack.
- Make use of all the characters the website lets you use e.g lowercase, uppercase, numbers, and punctuation marks.
- An example of an ideal password for a website could be “cBdA-Ag3Ncy.”
- Misspell your password so it’s harder to crack.
- Don’t use the same password again. If your account gets hacked and you use the same Email:Password the attacker will be able to log in to various websites as yourself.
What not to do when choosing a strong password #
Here are some tips on what not to do when creating a strong password:
- Using words in a dictionary increases the chances of your password been cracked as these are the first thing an attacker tries.
- Using your username or real name.
- Using anyone else’s name such as a family members
- Using your pet’s names. Attackers can look at your social media profiles.
- Using keyboard patterns such as qwerty or qwerty1234)
- Using simple words and combinations such as dog,dog123,Ilovemydog
Protecting your password #
Here are some tips on how to protect your strong password after it has been created:
- DO NOT write your password down.
- DO NOT tell anyone your password
- Select security questions that only you will know. Questions like “What school did you attend” can be easily figured out by viewing your profiles
- If you receive an email asking you to change your password when you haven’t requested too ignore the email – this is a common scam trick